Q. What is My Sidewalks?
A . My Sidewalks is an intensive reading intervention program. There are 6 instructional levels in My Sidewalks – Early Reading Intervention and Levels A through E.
Q. How do I know what level to use with my students?
A. Give the placement test, provided in every My Sidewalks kit, to determine your student’s instructional and My Sidewalks level. If your student is in:
- Kindergarten – give the placement test from the Early Intervention kit
- Grade 1 – give the placement test from the My Sidewalks, Level A kit
- Grade 2 – give the placement test from the My Sidewalks, Level B kit
- Grade 3 – give the placement test from the My Sidewalks, Level C kit
- Grade 4 – give the placement test from the My Sidewalks, Level D kit
- Grade 5 – give the placement test from the My Sidewalks, Level E kit
Q. How much time should I plan for teaching a My Sidewalks class?
A. Plan for 45 minutes, 5 days a week for teaching a group of 6 or fewer students with a My Sidewalks kit. The program was designed to require a minimum amount of teacher preparation time for one week’s instruction. All materials needed are provided in the kit and the teacher’s guide provides very direct-instruction script and pacing through a 45-minute session.
Q. Should I plan a My Sidewalks group instruction time during our 2 hour Language Arts block?
A. Students placed in My Sidewalks are students in need of intensive reading intervention instruction beyond the 2 hour core instruction. My Sidewalks instruction should be provided in addition to and outside of the 2 hour core instruction.
Q. Where can I find the My Sidewalks kits?
A. All 6 levels of the My Sidewalks program are in every North Slope elementary school. Additional kits in the Early Reading Intervention level, Level A, and Level B are available for “check-out” from the coaches’ office, CO2, in Barrow. Contact your Literacy Coach to check-out an additional kit for use in your school.