Current Inservice Website: https://www.nsbsd.org/Page/5954
Last Inservice (October 21) Website: https://www.nsbsd.org/Page/4209
*** The documents contain hyperlinked text. Please provide digital copies of the Teacher Agenda to your staff so that they can access the websites and email addresses contained below.
The goal of this inservice is to provide specific training in the NGSS for applicable staff, Collect Implementation feedback, and provide assistance to teachers in the further development of their Project Umiaq Units.
Inservice will be run separately at each individual site. Materials and instructions will come from Central Office. Varied trainings will be available either live, by VTC, or in a pre-recorded format. Project Umiaq Mentors should plan on providing assistance to the building principal, and supporting teachers for the majority of the day.
Please start the inservice by sharing the prepared statement (attached), which includes the district mission and vision, as well as the goals for the day and some housekeeping information.
Please finish the inservice by reconvening your staff and discussing the following questions. Please send an email summarizing their responses to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Were you able to provide comments on the Implementation Maps?
- Do you have what you need to implement a unit this quarter?
- Do you have what you need to continue working on developing/refining your unit for the year?
- Opening words (prepared by CO and read at each site at the beginning of the day).
- NGSS presentation RECCOMENDED for elementary teachers (Marilyn will be available in person or via VTC. We will contact sites individually to schedule a time).
- NGSS presentation RECCOMENDED for middle and high school science teachers (Marilyn will be available in person or via VTC. We will contact sites individually to schedule a time).
- Implementation feedback presentation RECCOMENDED for all teachers implementing units (Presenters will be available in person or via VTC. We will contact sites individually to schedule a time).
- Implementation section of the website Link
Please refer teachers to the NSBSD website for information about library books that would mesh well with their units. Link
Live Q and A link/ Digital Parking Lot
*Please note that you must be logged in to Google to submit a question.
Contact List for Unit help
Iñupiaq Ed Dept.
Implementation/ General Questions
New Teachers & Counselors
· Teach Iñupiaq Ed developed Culture-Based Units (CBUs) and Units from the Q1 and Q3 Implementation Maps, if available for content area and grade level.
· Begin Unit Development, Stages 1 and 2 required, Stage 3 optional.
Returning Teachers & Counselors
· Teach Iñupiaq Ed CBUs and Units from the Q1 and Q3 Implementation Maps, if available for content area and grade level.
Choose ONE of the following:
· Use feedback to make changes and enhancements to the previous year’s unit, bringing the unit to *R. Implement the unit.
· Working alone or in small groups, develop a complete unit, and implement a significant portion of the unit.
· Use feedback to make changes and enhancements to an orphan *O unit, bringing the unit to *R. Implement a significant portion of the unit.
Special Education Teachers
· Partner with a regular ed teacher in a class where you support students and co-teach Iñupiaq Ed CBUs and Units from the Q1 and Q3 Implementation Maps.
· Work with teachers developing a new unit, or choose an existing unit and create modifications to make the unit accessible for students receiving SPED services.
Opening words (To be read at each site):
Good Morning and thank you for being here today. We wanted to share several things with you before you begin your day, and so we have asked your principal to read this to you.
First off, we would like to begin by sharing the district mission statement with you.
Learning in our schools is rooted in the values, history and language of the Iñupiat. Students develop the academic and cultural skills and knowledge to be:
· Critical and creative thinkers able to adapt in a changing environment and world;
· Active, responsible, contributing members of their communities; and
· Confident, healthy young adults, able to envision, plan and take control of their destiny.
As you know, we are a mission-driven district and the work you do in your classrooms everyday actively supports those goals and values. Part of this is our unit work. We recognize the time and effort that you put into the units, and we want to let you know that they do make a difference. They directly impact the lives of your students, in a very real way, and in a way that typical out-of-the-textbook teaching does not. The North Slope is a special place, and this work is part of that. Thank you for your effort.
Today we have a couple of training opportunities for you, but mainly we want to provide you support and time to work on your units. For elementary teachers, as well as middle and high school science teachers, Marilyn Sigman will be working with you on the Next Generation Science Standards. For those of you who have implemented units, which should be most of you, we would like to show you a new way of providing feedback on those units.
In addition, we will again have a digital parking lot for you to write in any questions that you are unable to answer with the help of the mentors at your site. Jana, Fannie, Pat, Linda, Pamella and Caitlin will all be checking their emails all day in case you have any issues. Please do not hesitate to reach out. We want to provide you the support you need to continue your unit work.
The Project Umiaq Section of the webpage has also been updated. You will find video tutorials, detailed help files, and much more. You can access the pages by going to the district website, hovering over the “Staff” tab, and then selecting “Project Umiaq.” Use the navigation pane on the left to further explore. Links to any and all Implementation videos are in the section titled “Implementation Info.”
Again, thank you for attending inservice today. The work you are doing makes a direct difference in your students’ lives, and we appreciate you.